WOW: Just Shut Up & Listen!


"A witty saying proves nothing". – Voltaire.
Write Over the Weekend theme for this week
"I have something to tell you…!" Write a post starting with this line.



"I have something to tell you." His dark eyes were gleaming with...she couldn't place her finger on the emotion currently reflected in her friend's eyes.
It scared her and excited her at the same time. Trying to steady her rugged breathing, she said, "What is it?"
"You know how much I care about you, right?" he asked, gripping her shoulders so tightly, that his finger nails bit into her flesh, "You wouldn't be offended if I told you something, would you?"
Her heart was hammering against her chest, and she wondered, whether after all these years of standing by and watching him break his heart, over and over again, he'd finally grown brains (and perhaps some feelings) and realized where he really ought to be.
"W-why would I be offended?" she asked him, lightly, "You know we've been best friends since nursery, don't you?"
"That's what I love about you," he said. For a minute a grin flashed across his face, and she felt the warmth she usually did, when she was around him, "You have such an unconditional friendship towards me."
"You know, I would appreciate it, if you just..."
But he interrupted her, "For God sake, woman. Will just shut up and listen to me for awhile? I really need to get this off my chest. And if I don't do it now, I don't know WHEN I'll find the courage to do it again."
"Go ahead," she said, wincing as his fingernails dug into her skin yet again. He didn't seem to realize his grip was hurting her.
"If I were told that I have merely a few months to live, and I wanted to still achieve my dreams. Would you help me?" he asked.
"O-of course, I would," she stammered out, "But why..."
"Would you marry me?" he asked her.
And for the first time. She really looked at him. He looked a little pale to her, and pretty sick. She had suspected that he'd kept a secret from her all their lives together....but she was a little overwhelmed by the truth.
She felt his grip relax on her, and she looked up to see him. His face was turned away from hers. Who would have thought that even her twenty four year best friend could be so vulnerable, so completely helpless in the face of our very human struggles.
Impulsively, she threw her arms around him and hugged him tight. She reached up on tiptoe and kissed him full on the lips. He was startled by this gesture, but he kissed her back.
They broke apart.
Now her eyes were glinting, in the same mad way his had been. She smiled at him and said, "Well, I thought you'd never ask."
A smile unfurled on his face, "Is that a yes?"
"When have I ever said 'no' to you?" she volleyed back, "You know I love you."
He smiled to happily now, that it showed in his eyes. They were sparkling with new found love, "What had to tell you was, I am in love you."
"Me too," she whispered.
They found themselves entangled in each other's arms, and they felt their hearts beat wildly, as they stayed there, frozen in their moment of a happy ending.


This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda

Comments

  1. I was just staring at that cover pic of yours for 2 minutes....the one with the child and the cat...it's such a goosebump-giver...i really love such things...thanks for that.

    PS- I would read this story someother time, coz it's already 2:05 am and i just came online to check my mails....take care

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading this blog post. Your comments are highly appreciated!

Popular Posts